ABEGWILLI PARISH

ff

Copyright© UK Genealogy Online 2017        :        Back to Main Index

 

Abergwili, St David, Parish Church

Ordnance Survey Map Reference : SN440209

Parish Registers : Carmarthenshire Record Office

Baptisms 1661-1720, 1813-1902
Marriages 1661-1934, with gaps
Burials 1661-1720, 1813-1902


Bishops Transcripts : National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth
1672, 1674-76, 1680-81, 1684-85, 1694-95, 1698-99, 1703-05, 1717-19,
1721-22, 1724-25, 1727-41, 1743-59, 1763, 1765-1800, 1802-35, 1837-52,
1856-82, 1884-91, 1893-94. IGI chr 1813-75, 1813-39

View Larger Map 

Abergwili Parish Register Images

1661-1717-BMDs
1723-1812-BMDs
1813-1837-Marriages
1813-1902-Baptisms
1813-1902-Burials

 

Transcribed By Sian Wynn Jones for Carmarthenshire FHS

 

Baptism BMD's 1813-1902

Marriages BMD's 1813-1934

Burials BMD's 1813-1900

 

1901 Carmarthenshire Strays

 

 

NANTGAREDIG

Panteg & Peniel Meeting House Images

Panteg & Peniel Meeting House Index

Calvinistic Methodist Chapel Baptisms

Abergwilly, Nantgaredig Chapel (Calvinistic Methodist), 1810-1837 Piece 3814 - Images

 

PANT-TEG

Congregational Chapel Index

Abergwilly, Pantgwyn Chapel (Calvinistic Methodist), 1799 1814-1837 Piece 3862 Images

 

PANTGWYN

Salem Calvinistic Methodist Chapel Baptisms

 

Abergwilli Census Images 1841-1901 Images

 

Abergwili Genuki

Abergwilli WIkipedia

Abergwili War Memorial

 

Merlins Legend in Carmarthen

Friends of Carmarthen Museum

River Towy from the Air

Abergwilli History

Carmarthenshire County Museum

 

Towy Valley Historic Landscape Characterisation

 

Historic Background

The built-up area of the former borough of Abergwili. It is clear that Abergwili has pre-Conquest origins. It developed along the Roman road from Carmarthen to Llandovery, whose course was roughly followed by the modern A40(T) until the village was bypassed in 1999. It was a possession of the Bishops of St Davids, maybe as the result of a pre-Conquest grant, while the church, which is also dedicated to St David, is probably a pre-Conquest foundation (Ludlow 1998). In addition, Abergwili is named in an early 11th-century source as the site of a battle (Jones 1952, 12). It was certainly in episcopal hands by 1220 when Rhys Grug was bound to restore 'all the lands at Abergwili' to the Bishop (James 1980, 19), but part of the church was granted to Carmarthen Priory in 1267. Organised settlement dates to 1283-7 when the college at Llangadog was moved to Abergwili under Bishop Thomas Bek (ibid.), constituted for 22 prebendaries, 4 priests, 4 choristers and 2 clerks (Lewis, 1833). In 1334 Bishop Henry Gower added a precentor, chancellor and treasurer and the college had an annual revenue of £42 in 1536 (Ludlow 1998). Borough status was conferred on the settlement which remained small. In 1326 there were only 25 burgages (Soulsby 1983, 69) and it is unlikely that the settlement extended beyond its present confines. However, there was a market every Friday and at least one annual fair (ibid.). The college was again moved under Bishop Thomas Barlow in 1541, to Brecon, and the buildings, which were arranged around a cloister some 150 m east of the church, were converted into a palace for the Bishop. This survived various alterations and additions until 1903 when it was consumed by fire, and rebuilt (Soulsby 1983, 69 n.). The pre-1999 A40(T) route was turnpiked in 1763-71 (Lewis, 1971, 41) and the area is bounded to the north by the former LNWR main West Wales railway line which was opened, as the 'Vale of Towy Line', by the Llanelly Railway and Dock Company in 1858 (Gabb, 1977, 76). Twentieth century development includes the new Bishops Palace, constructed on the site of the stables in 1972 when the old palace was acquired by Carmarthenshire County Council to house its County Museum, a primary school and council housing, while the construction of the Carmarthen Eastern Bypass (A40) in 1999 along the northern edge of the area will reduce traffic through Abergwili and may have an economic impact.

 

Abergwilli Ebenezer Chapel

ddddd

 

Flood Prevention Gates at Abergwili
Ebenezer Chapel and the flood prevention gates at Abergwili. Gates at centre of image, Ebenezer Chapel to the left.
hghg

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

ABERGWILLI PARISH CHURCH

 

aa

LLANFIHANGEL UCH GWILI CHURCH & Area
FG5
In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llanfihangel Uwch Gwili like this: LLANFIHANGEL-UWCH-GWILLY, a chapelry in Abergwilly parish, Carmarthenshire; 5½ miles ENE of Carmarthen station. Post town, Abergwilly, under Carmarthen. The statistics are returned with the parish. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of St. David's. Value, £75. Patron, the Vicar of Abergwilly.

DFG7

LLOOLO

JKL

View of Abergwilli