BETTWS PARISH

Copyright UK Genealogy Online 2017         :        Back to Main Index

 


Bettws, St David, Parish Church

Ordnance Survey Map Reference : SN632117

Parish Registers : Carmarthenshire Record Office

Baptisms 1706 - 1973
Marriages 1706 - 1973
Burials 1706 - 1909

Bishops Transcripts : National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth
1702, 1707-08, 1716-23, 1728-84, 1786-87, 1789-90, 1793-96, 1798, 1800, 1802-03, 1805-65

View Larger Map
Bettws Parish Register Images
1706-1800-BMDs

1813-1907-Burials
1813-1912-Baptisms
1813-1922-Marriages

1915-1923-Marriages-All Saints Ammanford
All Saints-Banns-Ammanford

St Catherines-Brynamman-Baptisms
St Catherines-Brynamman-Burials
St Catherines-Brynamman-Marriages

St Michael Burials-Ammanford
St Michael Marriages-Ammanford

Bettws Parish Census Images 1841-1901


Bettws-Zion Chapel, Llandeilo Fawr-Llandeilo Chapel piece 3810 Images
Sion [Zion] : Calvinistic Methodist Chapel Christenings 1812-1837


Marriages 1813-1837
Burials 1813-1851

1841 Census Index
1851 Census Index
1881 Census Index

1901 Carmarthenshire Strays
Owners of Land 1873

Bettws Wikipedia
Bettws Genuki


Cwmgors a'r Waun
Bettws Church Photographs
Bettws Comunity Website
St Davids Church Bettws
Churches in the Bettws area
Some Captured History of Glanamman and Garnant
Betws - Place names from the C19th Tithe apportionment schedules
History of Coal Mining in the Amman Valley





St Michaels Church Ammanford




St Catherines Church Brynamman

gfu


All Saints Ammanford

St Davids Parish Church Bettws

 

St David Parish Church Bettw

Betws is a small village on the River Amman, some 15 miles north of Swansea, Wales; it is part of the ecclesiastical parish of Betws and Ammanford. The nearby mountain, at the western end of the Black Mountain, is named after the village, and has a large area of common land.

The name 'Betws' is generally thought to be derived from the Anglo-Saxon 'bed-hus' - a house of prayer, or oratory, and means "chapel" in the Welsh language. Until the 19th century, when Ammanford developed extensively, Betws was the largest village in the area

Until the 13th century,Betws was part of Gower, which is now known as the county of Swansea but the old commote border of the rivers Amman and Loughor moved south and Betws has since the Acts of Union been part of Welsh-speaking Carmarthenshire.


Until 1817, when a road was built along the Amman valley, Betws was only accessible by roads crossing the mountain from Neath and Swansea. This inaccessibility is commemorated in a local saying, which refers to the division between Betws a'r Byd (Betws and the world). There was a sign on the Amman bridge to this effect: Betws this way, the rest of the world that way. The people of Betws like to make the distinction between themselves and those over the river in Ammanford.

The road bridge between Betws and Ammanford on Park Street was completed in 1892 and rebuilt in 1990 by T Richard Jones (Betws) Ltd. T. Richard Jones (Betws) Ltd. ('TRJ') is a major building contractor, originally based in the village but now located on the Ammanford side of the river.

The land for Betws Park was gifted to Ammanford district Council by Lord Dynevor in 1903, but the council used it as a rubbish dump until the early 1930's. After this, it was properly developed by local volunteers as a park with tennis courts.On 23/06/2007 a new 'Memorial and Sensory Garden' was opened in the park.

 

 


 

 

 

 

<% Sub GenerateSearchOptions() Response.Write "" End Sub %>