CopyrightŠUK Genealogy Online 2017          Back to Main Index

Llanboidy, St Brynach, Parish Church

Ordnance Survey Map Reference : SN216232

Parish Registers : Carmarthenshire Record Office

Baptisms 1751 - 1812
Marriages 1751 - 1837
Burials 1751 -1812

Bishops Transcripts : National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth
1672-73, 1679, 1681-85, 1687-88, 1690-92, 1694-1700, 1703, 1707-09, 1711-12, 1714-20, 1722, 1724-56, 1758-74, 1776-78, 1780-91, 1794-95, 1798, 1802, 1804, 1806-09, 1811-13, 1815, 1817-41, 1843-44, 1849, 1852, 1864-66.


View Larger Map 

Marriages 1754-1837

Burials 1813-1851

1901 Carmarthenshire Strays

Owners of Land 1873

Llanboidy Parish Register Images

1748-1798-BMD's
1811-1991-Burials
1813-1837-Marriages
1813-1907-Baptisms
1837-1916-Marriages

 Llanboidy Parish Census Images
Llanboidy 1851 Census Digital Images
Llanboidy 1861 Census Digital Images
Llanboidy 1871 Census Digital Images
Llanboidy 1881 Census Digital Images
Llanboidy 1891 Census Digital Images
Llanboidy 1901 Census Digital Images

Llanboidy Genuki 
Llanboidy Wiki

Llanboidy History
More Llanboidy

Maesgwynne Ruins

Llanboidy Trinity Chapel Now & Pre 1923
nv

nnh 

dfg

sss

 

 

Parish Church

ffdfdfd

 

dddf

Llanboidy is a village and designated community in the principal area and historic county of Carmarthenshire, West Wales.

According to the 2001 United Kingdom Census, the community had a population of 988. It is located near the border with Pembrokeshire close to the Landsker Line. The village itself is in the Welsh speaking side.

Llanboidy is a scenic village in West Carmarthenshire, Wales. Its history goes back to the Iron Age where the site of a timber built fort can be seen near the village centre. 'Llanboidy' may mean church (Llan) of the cowshed (beudy) and its name probably is linked to St. Brynach. Brynach was a wandering 5th century Irish saint who got shipwrecked off the South Wales coast, returning to Ireland from a tour to Brittany. He founded several West Wales churches and the village church is named after and dedicated to him.

Another notable church he founded is at the village of Nevern. This is approximately 20 miles north west of Llanboidy and is overlooked by Carn Ingli (said by some to mean Mountain of Angels).

Llanboidy then became an important drovers road route in the Middle Ages and once had four taverns.

Today Llanboidy is a mixture of Welsh language speaking natives and incomers from the South of England.

It has a sports and social club and a football (soccer) team. There is a village Post office and the school has recently been re-built. The church graveyard holds a very precious statue by the Cardiff born Sculptor Sir William Goscombe John which is deteriorating. It was a funerary monument to the Victorian era MP Walter Rice Powell. Powell was a London born philanthropist who brought money and jobs to the village and his legacy can be seen at the Market Hall and other fine buildings in the village. The seat of the Powells was the mansion of Maesgwynne, west of the village.

Whitland Views

kk

 

jjk

 

;;