St Dingad, Parish Church
Ordnance Survey Map Reference : SN770352
Parish Registers : Carmarthenshire Record Office
Baptisms 1733 - 1909
Marriages 1733 - 1904, 1907 - 65
Burials 1733 - 1911
Bishops Transcripts : National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth
1672-73, 1677-79, 1681-84, 1686-87, 1711-12, 1715-16, 1718, 1721-22,
1728-31, 1733-45, 1748-83, 1785-94, 1796-1800, 1802-54,
1865. IGI chr 1745-1865
Llandingat Parish Register Images
Census Images 1841-1901
Llandigat Marriages 1813-1837
Llandingat Burials 1813-1875
1901 Carmarthenshire Strays
Owners of Land 1873
William Williams Pantycelyn
View Larger Map
The church, dedicated to St. Dingat, is a Norman
building, the nave and chancel are thirteenth century and the tower,
fourteenth. It is built on the ancient site of a pre-Conquest Celtic
Christian community which formed a network of Medieval churches. St. Dingat
was one of the sons of Brychan, a sixth century saint and chieftain of Irish
origin. Brychan had thirty six children, many of whom also became celtic
saints. He founded his own kingdom of Brycheiniog
View of Llandovery
Attractions in the town include the remains of Llandovery Castle, built in
1110 and almost immediately captured by the Welsh, changing hands between
Normans and Welsh until the reign of King Edward I of England. The castle
was used by King Henry IV while on a sortie into Wales when he executed
Llywelyn ap Gruffydd Fychan in the marketplace. It was later attacked by the
forces of Owain Glyndŵr in 1403, and has stood as a ruin ever since.
A 16-foot (4.9 m) high stainless steel statue to Llywelyn ap Gruffydd
Fychan was unveiled in 2001 on the north side of Llandovery Castle,
overlooking the place of his execution six hundred years earlier. He had led
the army of King Henry IV on 'a wild goose chase' under the pretence of
leading them to a secret rebel camp and an ambush of Glyndŵr's forces. King
Henry lost patience with him, exposed the charade and had him half hanged,
disemboweled in front of his own eyes,beheaded and quartered - the quarters
salted and dispatched to other Welsh towns for public display
The statue won a national competition to choose a suitable
design, the winner being that of Toby and Gideon Petersen, funding was from
the National Lottery and the Arts Council of Wales.
Also in the town are a charity-run theatre (Llandovery Theatre), a
heritage centre and Llandovery College. The Carmarthen Fans, a scenic
mountain range within the Brecon Beacons National Park is nearby.
Tourists appreciate the first conurbation after crossing
the Brecon Beacons and large numbers of motorcyclists congregate,
particularly at weekends, in the West End cafe on the High Street.
The Physicians of Myddfai practiced in the area, healing
subjects with their herb lore and potions as well as their mystical powers
and insight into the human condition.
Llandovery is also the place where one of the first
independent Welsh banks, The Black Ox, was established by a wealthy drover
(later to become part of Lloyds TSB bank). The building is part of the
King's Head inn which was the home of The Bank of the Black Ox.
Llandovery is home to the Rugby Union team Llandovery RFC.
Famous people associated with Llandovery include outlaw Twm Si˘n Cati and
hymn writer William Williams.
Llandovery is twinned with Pluguffan, France.
The Dolaucothi Gold Mines are located 10 miles (16 km) away near Pumpsaint
on the A482. The site of a Roman Gold Mine.
The small and pretty village of Myddfai is located four
miles (6 km) to the south east. The Fan Brycheiniog or Carmarthen Fans, part
of the Brecon Beacons National Park lie nearby.
The Llyn Brianne dam is 12 miles (19 km) to the North
located in rugged and impressive countryside. On the picturesque journey to
the dam via Rhandirmwyn, visitors also pass the site of Twm Sion Cati's
Cave. The walk along the river and in the woods are impressive and unspoilt.
Library from the Market Square
Dinefwr Craft Center
Llandovery / Llanymddyfri
This town is well placed as a base for the west of the National Park and
Fforest Fawr Geopark on the beautiful Heart of Wales railway line.
Llandovery means ‘church among the waters' and it is true Llandovery is
surrounded by three rivers, the Towy, the Bran, and the Gwydderig.
It is a market town that still has a medieval feel to it, and is steeped in
a very mixed history. Once a major drovers' town, imagine 30,000 cattle
crammed into the streets on their way to London.
Ebenezer Baptist Chapel, Llandovery
Baptist chapel of 1844 renewed in 1884-5 by
George Morgan of Carmarthen and extended in 1905. Set back from road in long
forecourt aligned with Orchard Street. The congregation was formed in the
early C19, noted by Titus Lewis in 1811, probably meeting in a house in Stone
Street from 1817. The chapel was subordinate to Cwmsarnddu chapel, Cilycwm.
Interior with 3-sided gallery of 1884 fronted in continuous
double-curved cast-iron work in a neo-rococo style, presumably by Macfarlane
of Glasgow, as 7 cast-iron columns with scrolled caps are a Macfarlane design.
Gallery curves at ends and has quadrant-curved projection of 1905 where
gallery front joins pulpit wall. Columns are set back with brackets under
moulded wood cornice beneath iron frontal. Pews in 3 blocks, outer ones
canted. Entrance lobby has coloured glass 2-light leaded Gothic window to
chapel and 2 double panelled doors. End wall has timber pulpit with canted
corners and Gothic cusped arches with column shafts, and Gothic matching
balustrades to side steps. Three-sided open-backed set fawr. Arched organ loft
behind pulpit with panelled and balustraded front but no organ. Chapel has
flat ceiling with small cornice and ornate rose with spiral leaves encircled
by triple mouldings of 2 types of scroll and linked fleurs-de-lys to outer
Chapel, roughcast gable front with painted stucco
details and fretwork bargeboards. Raised string across pedimental gable,
raised quoins. Two long arched windows each with early C20 leaded glazing, in
2-light tracery with roundel presumably of 1884. Centre C20 double doors in
stucco frame of pilasters, moulded arch and keystone. Georgian Gothic tracery
to fanlight of 1844, presumably the form of glazing originally in windows.
Rectangular plaque in moulded frame 'Ebenezer Baptist Chapel erected in the
Left side is slate-hung for 2-thirds of length with another
long arched window and then rubble stone (probable addition of 1905) with red
brick dressings and another arched window. Right side is all roughcast with 2
arched long windows. Earlier C20 rubble stone rear addition on NE corner with
S end 6-panel door and overlight in red brick surround. Arched E side window
with similar tracery and leaded glass to main chapel windows. N broad gable
with 2 leaded cross windows. Rear of chapel has lean-to above right roof slope
of NE addition.
Williams Pantycelyn Memorial Chapel (CM), Llandovery
Teitl Cymraeg/Welsh title: Capel (MC) Coffa
Williams Pantycelyn, Llanymddyfri
Ffotograffydd/Photographer: John Thomas
Dyddiad/Date: [ca. 1885]
Cyfrwng/Medium: Negydd gwydr / Glass negative
Maint/Dimensions: 215 x 165 mm.
Rhif cofnod / Record no.: 3361743