Copyright© UK Genealogy Online 2017         :        Back to Main Index

 

LLANEGWAD PARISH

 

Llanegwad, St Egwad, Parish Church
 
Ordnance Survey Map Reference : SN519214
 
Parish Registers : Carmarthenshire Record Office
 
Baptisms 1701 - 1901
Marriages 1701-1779, 1784-1953
Burials 1701 - 1905
 
Bishops Transcripts : National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth
1679-80, 1681-82, 1686-88, 1701-04, 1701-08, 1716-21, 1725-31, 1733-62,
1764-91, 1793-1800, 1802-81. IGI chr, 1750-1875
 
View Larger Map 
 

 

Llanegwad Parish Register Images

1745-1812-BMD's
1813-1905- Burials
1813-1901-Baptisms
1837-1920-Marriages

 

Baptisms 1750-1875

Marriages 1754-1837

Burials 1813-1875

 

Census Digital Images 1841-1901

 

Llanegwad Mounumental Index 1924-2005

 

Llanegwad Website

 

Llanegwad Wiki

Llanegwad Visions of Britain

Llanegwad Genuki

Llanegwad Group

Llanegwad Express

 

 

 

  fgt  

 

Llanegwad - excavation of a medieval industrial site

Medieval Llanegwad uncovered
An excavation in 2007 between St Egwad’s Church and the medieval castle at Llanegwad, Carmarthenshire, revealed part of a ditched enclosure containing a series of pits, ditches and post-holes. These, along with fragments of kiln-lining and quantities of charcoal indicate industrial use involving some form of water-management and possible tanning. Remains of a timber building were also excavated. Outside the enclosure the remnants of a hearth and large quantities of iron slag suggest more widespread industrial activity. Pottery indicates a medieval date, possibly centred on the 13th and 14th centuries for the industrial activity. However, the discovery of Romano-British pottery and several flint fragments suggest a longer history to the site. Davies Richards of Llandeilo funded the excavation in advance of development.

 

Report in PDF format (opens in a new window)

 

Contact: Phil Poucher

 

Holy Trinity, Llanegwad Church

Holy Trinity Church, Llanegwad

Photo courtesy of www.llanegwad-carmarthen.co.uk

Two miles from Llanegwad.
Built in 1865 of local sandstone with a Gothic style bell tower. Stained glass windows, wooden barrel vault nave, decorated interior with 25 frescoes. Bucknall was the architect.

 

 

 

Llanegwad is a community located in Carmarthenshire, Wales. Llanegwad is built up mainly of small farms and detached homes. Most of all homes located in Llanegwad are older Victorian properties; As well as a number of more modern homes. The area has few amenities any more, with the village Church “Llanegwad Church (St Edgwad church), unfortunately closing in 2005 and thus now redundant due to the state of repair of the building. There are plans though for restoring the church. It is a historic church as it is the only remaining building on the site where several monasteries and religious cells once existed. The building was begun in the 10th-11th century and restored in the 19th century .As well as this; there is also Holy Trinity church, which took on the services at Llanegwad when Llanegwad church had to close its doors, Holy Trinity Church was built in 1865 of local sandstone with a Gothic style bell tower, Stained glass windows, wooden barrel vault nave, decorated interior with 25 frescoes. Bucknall was the architect. The village has lost much of the services it once had, an example being Llanegwad School; formerly "Llanegwad National School" closing down in 1948.As well as this the area over the years has lost its drinking establishments. One of the more notable homes of Llanegwad is Ty Dderwen formerly Coffee House. The home of the Lewis family, the house received the name coffee when the church asked the Lewis family if they would be willing on a Sunday to serve Coffee in their front room for the ladies after church. The house later served as a tailoring firm led by the master tailor David Lewis. The house at the same time served as the village post office. The house continued to stay in the same family lived in by David Eric Hart a musician and composer until he sold the house in the 1970s. The house still exists today and is located next to Llanegwad church.

Llanegwad sits on the banks of the river Tywi between Carmarthen and Llandeilo in Carmarthenshire, South Wales. The Cothi river, the largest tributary of the Tywi, runs to the north of the village. Both rivers are noted for their excellent trout and sea trout fishing.

The village has Medieval origins but most of the present buildings belong to the 18th and 19th and 20th Centuries. Llanegwad parish church was built in the 10th or early 11th Century and rebuilt in the mid 19th Century. There are several fine commemorative plaques inside the church. The tower was built to the memory of Margaret Bath but, as with much of the church, is sadly in a poor state of repair.

The National Botanic Garden of Wales, 9.1km from Llanegwad, attracts many visitors throughout the year. The garden includes a tropical house, Japanese house, Mediterranean garden, Wild garden, a 'Roots and Shoots' Adventure Zone for children, and three lakes which are home to an array of geese, ducks, coots and moorhens. However, the main attraction is the Great Glasshouse, which sits quietly in the centre of the garden. It may look like a huge bubble has just landed in the garden, but the glasshouse is in fact a huge greenhouse housing plants from six areas of the world: the Mediterranean Basin, Chile, California, Australia, the Canary Island and South Africa. An art gallery can also be found in the garden

 

djh