LLANFIHANGEL ABERBYTHYCH

Copyright UK Genealogy Online 2016         :        Back to Main Index

 

Llanfihangel Aberbythych, St Michael, Parish Church

Ordnance Survey Map Reference : SN589198
Parish Registers : Carmarthenshire Record Office

Baptisms 1674-83, 1695-1922
Marriages 1674-83, 1695-1970
Burials 1674-83, 1695-1904

Bishops Transcripts : National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth
1674, 1681-84, 1686-87, 1707-08, 1710-11, 1717, 1719-22, 1724-30,
1735, 1739-45, 1747-59, 1761, 1763-1800, 1802-37, 1839-66
IGI christenings 1674-1766, 1813

-1866, marriages 1813-1837



View Larger Map

 


 

Llanfihangel Aberbythych Parish Register Images
Baptisms & Burials 1675-1683

Baptisms & Burials 1695-1766
Baptisms & Burials 1766-1812
Baptisms 1813-1913
Burials 1813-1904
Marriages 1813-1927


Llanfihangel Aberbythych Baptisms [BT's]
Llanfihangel Aberbythych Marriages 1813-1837

Carmarthenshire Marriages 1754-1837
Llanfihangel Aberbythych Church Burials 1813-1904
Burials 1813-1851

1841-1901 Census Digital Images
1841 Census Index
1851 Census Index
1881 Census Index
1901 Carmarthenshire Strays
Wills Index 1654-1858
Owners of Land 1873


Maesybont School Register


Milo Chapel Burials

Genuki
Electoral Division
Wikipedia
Mapit UK

Listed Buildings in Llanfihangel Aberbythych

VAUGHAN, Hon. John (1639-1713), of Golden Grove
VAUGHAN, Francis, Lord Vaughan (1638-67), of Golden Grove
VAUGHAN, Hon. Altham (c.1642-82), of Golden Grove
VAUGHAN, Sir John (c.1575-1634), of Golden Grove


Golden Grove - Llanfihangel Aberbythych







Historic Background

A very large character area bisected by the valley of the Afon Cennen. It occupies the central part of Iscennen commote which, unlike the rest of Cantref Bychan within which it lay, remained nominally independent of Anglo-Norman rule until 1284 when it was acquired by John Giffard. In 1340 it became a member of the Duchy of Lancaster (Rees 1953, xv-xvi). The nature of this tenure may be reflected in the pattern of small- and medium-sized irregular fields which characterise the area, and may be late Medieval in origin, like similar fields in Area 185 towards the west end of the Tywi Valley which appear to pre-date the late 16th-century enclosure of their margins. Evidence for ridge and furrow cultivation, however, has been recorded in the western part of Area 190. The present pattern of enclosures and farms had nevertheless evolved by at least the early 19th-century, and is depicted as such on the tithe maps of Llanfihangel Aberbythych (1837) and Llanarthne (1848) parishes, though all early settlement is shown as dispersed. Possible ecclesiastical land lies to the west of the area and the origins of Talhardd, a farmstead on the low-lying ground on the west side of the Cennen, are said to be as a 13th century grange of the Premonstratensians at Talley (Rees 1932). However, it is not listed among the former possessions of the abbey in an early 17th-century rental (Owen 1894, 92) which may have been compiled after it had spilt from the estate. The present house is sub-Medieval but a nearby maerdy place-name, derived from a reeve or maer, may be associated with a monastic holding or the TregÓb estate in Area 203 (Sambrook and Page 1995, 17). The only other early gentry house is Derwydd, to the south-east of the area, an important holding which was referred to in 1550 as the home of Rhydderch ap Hywel ap Bedo (Jones 1987, 55), with a garden remodelled in 1889 (Whittle 1999). Cellifor to the west is at least late 17th-century (Jones 1987, 29), now rebuilt, while Caeglas and Cefncethin to the east were established in the late 18th-century (Jones 1987, 20, 27), though none of the latter houses were associated with large estates. A railway was constructed along the Cennen Valley between Ammanford and Llandeilo in 1841 by the GWR, but 19th- and 20th-century development has been limited. Although there was some limestone extraction in the area, immediately beyond to the southeast intensive extraction was undertaken from the 19th century onwards giving rise to a number of settlements. These are concentrated on the fringe of the area, which also features new concentrations at Carmel, Milo and Pant-y-llyn.

Llanfihangel Aberbythych Parish Church
34rrrdfgh

History of Golden Grove

Administrative and biographical history: The Vaughan family settled in Golden Grove, Carmarthenshire, when John Vaughan built a mansion on the site in 1560-1565. His father, Hugh Vaughan came from Kidwelly. A direct descendant, Richard Vaughan (?1600-1687), who served as Lord President of Wales and the Marches in 1661, married Margaret Elizabeth, daughter of Charles Phillips of Bremenda and Lletty Gariad. Through this marriage the Vaughan family inherited the estates of Lletty Gariad, Bremenda, Piodau and Plas Llandybie, all in Carmarthenshire, which had previously been farmed by the Brigstocke family in the second half of the 17th century. He was also granted Friars Park, Carmarthen, by Lewis Walton of Worcester, in 1632. On the death of Richard Vaughan, 2nd Earl of Carbery the estate comprised 50,000 acres. He also owned land in Ireland. Richard's eldest son Francis Vaughan died in the lifetime of his father. The estate and title therefore passed to his younger brother, John Vaughan (1639-1713), also Baron Vaughan of Emlyn, who was MP for the Carmarthen boroughs, 1661-1679, and for Carmarthenshire, 1679-1681 and 1685-1687; and Governor of Jamaica, 1674-1678. On his death without male issue in 1713, the title became extinct. John's only child and heir was Lady Anne Vaughan (d. 1751), who married Lord Bolton. She died without issue and the estate passed to a distant cousin, John Vaughan, (1693-1765), of Shenfield and Ty'nycoed (or Ty-ar-y-coed) who built a new Golden Grove mansion in 1754-1757 alongside the old mansion which was destroyed by fire in 1729. His grandson, John Vaughan (1757-1804), died without issue and devised the estate to his friend John Campbell, Lord Cawdor. The Campbell family had already acquired the substantial Stackpole estate, located mainly in Pembrokeshire, following the marriage of Sir Alexander Campbell of Cawdor Castle, Scotland, with Elizabeth Lort (d. 1714). Sir Alexander's son, John Campbell married Mary, eldest daughter and co-heiress of Lewis Pryse of Gogerddan, who inherited the Glanfraed estate in Llanfihangel Genau'r-glyn, Cardiganshire. John Campbell (d. 1821), who was created Baron Cawdor in 1796, sold parts of the Stackpole estate in 1802, including Henllan, Mullock, and Sandyhaven, and the Glanfraed estate. It was this John Campbell who inherited the Golden Grove estate in 1804 from his friend John Vaughan, Earl Carbery. John's son, John Frederick Campbell (1790-1860), second Baron Cawdor, created Earl of Cawdor in 1827, built a new mansion at Golden Grove which was completed in 1834. During the 19th century the family also acquired the Wiston estate in Pembrokeshire, although little is known about the property. John Frederick Campbell was succeeded by his son John Frederick Vaughan Campbell (1790-1860), second Earl of Cawdor, Lord lieutenant and Custos Rotulorum of Carmarthenshire, and MP for Pembrokeshire 1841-1859. His son was Frederick Archibald Vaughan (1847-1911), Lord lieutenant of Pembrokeshire 1896-1911 and MP for Carmarthenshire 1874-1885. According to the 1873 return of owners of land, the Earl of Cawdor owned an estimated 51,538 acres in Wales, all in Carmarthenshire, Pembrokeshire and Cardiganshire, with an estimated annual rental of £35,043. The family's principal seat had been Stackpole until the beginning of the 20th century when they reverted to Cawdor Castle. Frederick's grandson, John Duncan Vaughan (1900-1970), 5th Earl of Cawdor, spent most of his time at his estates in Scotland. He therefore sold the contents of the Stackpole mansion, the mansion subsequently being demolished. He also leased Golden Grove mansion and the surrounding lands to the Carmarthenshire County Council, who used it as an agricultural college. It had been used during World War II by the US Air Force. Hugh John Vaughan (b. 1932), Viscount Emlyn, later sixth Earl of Cawdor, built the Golden Grove House in 1962.



Llanfihangel Aberbythych Village - School House