Copyright UK Genealogy Online 2017 : Back to Main Index
Llanfihangel Ar Arth, St Michael, Parish Church
Ordnance Survey Map Reference : SN456399
Parish Registers : Carmarthenshire Record Office
Baptisms 1787 - 1977
Marriages 1756 - 1971
Burials 1787 - 1896
Bishops Transcripts : National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth
1672-73, 16788-79, 1694-95, 1697-1701, 1711, 1713-14, 1716-17,
1719-22, 1724-29, 1731, 1733-34, 1736-43, 1745-49, 1752-62, 1764-67,
1775-78, 1780, 1782-83, 1785, 1787-1800, 1802-12, 1814-33, 1835-53,
1855, 1871-73, 1875-76
View Larger Map
Parish Register Images
Carmarthenshire Census Images 1841-1901
Carmarthenshire Marriages 1754-1837 Index
1901 Carmarthenshire Strays
Wills Index 1654-1858
Owners of Land 1873
Llanfihangel Ar Arth Genuki
Llanfihangel Ar Arth Wikipedia
Llanfihangel Ar Arth Website
Llanfihangel-ar-arth near Nantgwair Hebron Baptist
Chapel, Pencader, Llanfihangel ar Arth
This is the one just above the post office, The inscription includes Tabernacl and Annibinwyr (i.e. Tabernacle Independent Chapel) and the dates 1660 (probably when founded) and 1909 (when this chapel was built). It was designed by Arthur Jones of Carmarthen (from 'Buildings of Wales') Before 1910 members of the Congregational chapel met at what is now called the Old Chapel, Pencader.
Bridge over Teifi at Llanfihangel-ar-arth
St. Michael’s Church
The church of St Michael gave the parish its name – the Church of St Michael on the Hill. It is probably a Celtic foundation, said to have been rebuilt in the year 717AD.
The Celtic saint Llawddog was active in this area in the 6th century and it is possible that he was responsible for establishing a llan or small monastic settlement on a spur of land overlooking the river Teifi.
The church was built on a site that was already recognised as special: the dedication to St Michael denotes a place of pre-christian religious use.
There are two clear indications that Llanfihangel ar Arth is an early foundation. The Ulcagnus gravestone is thought be a Christian inscription dating from the 4th or the 5th century AD. It is now within the church for better preservation and protection. A second ancient stone, bearing five inscribed crosses, is either a coffin lid or a very early altar. This was also discovered in the graveyard and is now in the church. See above.
Stained Glass Windows
A stained glass window was fitted in the east wall behind the altar in the early years of the 20th century (see above right), and a second stained glass window was added in 1995 (see above left). This was bequest by the Rev Evan Tudor Thomas (1911 – 1992) who was born at Gwynfryn, Llanfihangel, and was Vicar of Pantfaen, Fishguard, from 1959 to 1977. It protrays the Ascension and is a memorial to his parents, Thomas and Margaret Thomas, and his aunt Elizabeth Thomas. The window was made by Gabriel Loire, then 90 years old, and his team at Chartres. It is the frist example in Wales of one of the finest modern stained glass designers in the world, whose work can be seen in 29 countries. It is sited in the south wall of the church, near the family pew once occupied by the Thomas family. The 1st image above is taken from ‘This Small Corner: A History of Pencader and District’ by Steve Dube (2000).
This lichgate (above) was donated on her 90th birthday by Miss L.V. Jones Hafan Deg, headteacher of the local primary school for 43 years and a faithful member of the church, in December 2002.