LLANFIHANGEL RHOS-Y-CORN Index
Llanfihangel Rhos Y Corn, St Michael, Parish Church
View Larger Map
Llanfihangel Rhos Y Corn Parish Register
Llanfihangel Rhos Y Corn Burials 1813-1840
Llanfihangel Rhos Y Corn Marriages 1754-1837
1841 Census Digital Images
1851 Census Digital Images
1861 Census Digital Images
1871 Census Digital Images
1881 Census Digital Images
1891 Census Digital Images
1901 Census Digital Images
1911 Census Digital Images ED6
1911 Census Digital Images ED7
Listed Buildings in Llanfihangel Rhos Y Corn
Thomas, Rees - Biography
Welsh Origins of Reese Powell Thomas
Nathan W. Murphy
On 7 February 1815, Thomas Thomas and his wife Sarah (Powell)
Thomas became the parents of Rees or Rhys Thomas.
By the early 1820s, Thomas Thomas and his family settled in
Llanfihangel-ar-Arth Parish, Carmarthenshire,
Latter-day Saint missionaries arrived in this area in the
1840s. Led by stalwardt missionaries such as Dan Jones, they
established a branch in Brechfa and another in neighboring
Llanybyther. Brechfa was just a small village community with little
over one hundred inhabitants.
Many nonconformists, such as Methodists and Independents, in
addition to the
Rees Thomas became very active in the Church of Jesus Christ
of Latter-day Saints, while his siblings dwindled. On 9 Ionawr
[January] 1848, Thomas Jeremy and his brother David Jeremy ordained
Rees as a priest in the Aaronic priesthood. The 27 Mehefin [June]
1848, Captain Dan Jones ordained Rees as an Elder in the Church.
When the Lord?s servants called the converts to
Rees?s younger brother and sister did not heed the call to
Rees Thomas?s parents and siblings continued to reside at Ty-r-cae following his emigration. The 1851 Census of Llanfihangel Rhos-y-Corn shows these individuals in that home: Thomas Thomas, 56, farmer; Sarah Thomas, 57, farmer?s wife; Thomas Thomas, 28, farmer?s son, unmarried; Hesther Thomas, 25, farmer?s daughter, unmarried; David Thomas, 19, farmer?s son, unmarried; John Coldwell, 6, grandson. Another excommunicated member of the Church, Methusalem Rees, lived at Llydiadmawr, in the same parish. He may have been an acquaintance of this family. The Thomas family held this land, which consisted of 27 acres in 1851 and 53 acres in 1871, until at least 1881. By 1881, Rees?s parents had died, and his brother, Thomas Thomas Jr., his wife, and two small children owned the farm, which at that time had increased to 58 acres in size.
Little is known about what happened to Rees?s brother David and his sister Hesther. Both of them left their parents? home before 1871. Hopefully inquisitive descendants will pursue these families to find their long lost cousins. Rees Thomas must have demonstrated considerable faith to remain strong in his beliefs surrounded by a wavering family and he should be held in high regard amongst his posterity.
|Llanfihangel Rhos Y
Corn Parish Church