LLANGAN PARISH

Copyright¬© UK Genealogy Online 2017        :        Back to Main Index


Llangan, Parish Church

Ordnance Survey Map Reference : SN178188

Parish Registers : Carmarthenshire Record Office

Baptisms 1768 - 1793
Marriages 1769 - 1963
Burials 1768 - 1794

Bishops Transcripts : National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth
1677-79, 1681-85, 1690-91, 1693-95, 1697-1700, 1704-05, 1707-09, 1711,
1713, 1715-18, 1720-23, 1725-27, 1729-83, 1785-92, 1794-95, 1805, 1807-31,
1883, 1837, 1840. IGI chr, 1740-1840


View Larger Map 

 

 

Llangan Parish Register Images

Baptisms 1789-1907
Burials 1768-1993

Llangan Parrish Census Images

1841
1851
1861
1871
1881
1891
1901

Other Indexes

Llangan Parish Baptisms 1740 - 1840 BT's

Carmarthenshire Marriages 1754-1837
Burials 1813-1851
1901 Carmarthenshire Strays
Wills Index 1654-1858
Owners of Land 1873

Llangan Genuki

History of Llangan

 More Llangan

Phillips Family Llangan

Llangan Parish Church
Church at Sarn-las, Llangan West
Church at Sarn-las, Llangan West,
Llangan West used to be a tiny civil parish by virtue of being the part of Llangan parish that was in Pembrokeshire (it is now in Carmarthenshire). It also has the parish church, in a poor state of repair.

de5
Llangan, a parish in Carmarthenshire, on the river Taff, 2 miles WNW of Whitland station on the G.W.R., and 5 1/2 NE by E of Narberth. It contains the village of Camvelin, and its post town is Whitland (R.S.O.) Acreage, 4715 ; population, 787. Whitland Abbey is a modern mansion, on the site of the monastic Abba Lauda. The monastic house, originated in a cell planted by Paulinus in the 5th century, was founded for Cistercian monks by Bishop Bernard in 1143, and is now represented by little else than some portions of clustered pillars. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St David's; net value, £130 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of St David's. The church is dedicated to St Canna, Llangan or Llanganna, a village and a parish in Glamorgan, on the rivers Canna and Ewenny, 4 miles ESE of Bridgend. The parish contains also the village of Treos, and its post town is Bridgend. Acreage, 1200 ; population, 182. Earl Duuraven is lord of the manor. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Llandaff; gross value, £266 with residence. The church was rebuilt in 1861. There is a wheel cross with crucifixion and instruments of torture on one side and Greek cross on the other, of about 9th century date, and an exceptionally well-preserved cross with fine tracery of the 14th century date. There is a Congregational chapel.

<% Sub GenerateSearchOptions() Response.Write "" End Sub %>