Copyright© UK Genealogy Online 2017         :        Back to Main Index

NEWCHURCH  PARISH

Newchurch St Michael Parish Church

 

Baptisms 1742-1980, 

Burials 1742-1970, 

Marriages 1742-1975

 

Bishops Transcripts - NLW: 1675-78, 1682-83, 1686-88, 1690-91,-1693-94, 1696-99, 1702-04, 1705, 1707-09, 1711, 1713-14, 1716-18, 1720-22, 1724-41, 1743-59, 1762-70, 1773, 1775-85, 1789-99, 1802-58, 1887

 


View Larger Map
 
 Newchurch Parish Register Images
1727-1817-BMDs
1773-1712 & 1813-1914-Baptisms
1799-1975-Burials
1837-1922-Marriages


1841-1901 Census Images

Calvinistic Methodist Chapel Baptisms 1813-1836

Carmarthenshire Marriages 1754-1837 Index
Burials 1813-1851

1901 Carmarthenshire Strays
Wills Index 1654-1858
Owners of Land 1873

Newchurch  Genuki
Visions of Britain

Ordnance Survey Ref:

SN 383243   :  Newchurch


 

Click for »   Parish Church Information

When Viewing the above pages backspace to return to this page

vb

qwe

Bwlchnewydd Independant Chapel.

Built, 1746, 1810, 1833, Restored 1859.

Records Available: 1805-1841 RG4/4123 & Burials, 1855-57 RG4/3816 PRO, & CRO (GS 828109) IGI

bgi

Cwmdwyfran Calvinistic Chapel

Built 1798, 1861, renewed 1909.

Records Available: Births & Baptisms, 1813-1836, PRO & CRO, RG4/3862 (GS828108) IGI

Ministry Collection Book, Listing Members Contributions, 1953-1974 NWL.

Statistics of this Chapel, South Carmarthenshire Presbytery, 1878-1904 NLW

Click for »    

Parish Church Information

 

 

When Viewing the above pages backspace to return to this page


Newchurch Parish Church
nnn

As early as the 12th century Newchurch was known as Eglwys Newydd. This sdfsuggests that the present Parish church was a Norman foundation replacing an earlier Celtic church, quite possibly that of Llanfihangel Croesfeini which was demolished in 1847. The parish of Newchurch was held and valued by Carmarthen Priory in the middle ages. At one time the Prior lived in Carmarthen Castle.

 

Although there is no town or village associated with

 

 yhn

 

Newchurch, there are some neat little hamlets, such as Bronwydd, Panteg & Cwmdwyfran.

 

The Independent chapel at Bwlch Newydd has its roots in the 18th Century, when services were held in a barn at Bwlch Farm. Many able ministers have preached the gospel here, But it is unlikely that any were as impressive a figure as the Rev. Michael D Jones. Minister from 1850-1855. bto

He was one of the fathers of the Welsh revival in the mid-19th Century and one of the founders of the Welsh Colony in Patagonia in 1865. He envisaged creating a safe colony, to where Welsh tenant farmers could escape from the oppressive hands of Welsh Landlords.

 

Above Old School House alogside Newchurch Parish Church

 

Captain David Davies, Trawsmawr, was a staunch opponent of Rebeccaism and became a target for the wrath of Rebecca in 1843, because of his criticism of the movement; he was JP from Carmarthen Borough and had served as Mayor of Carmarthen.

 

dfl 

1939 - 1945 War Memorial of Newchurch (to enlarge click, to return to this page, use backspace, same for photograph below)

xdq 

1914-1918 War Memorial of Newchurch

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Copyright © Carmarthenshire FHS

http://www.CarmarthenshireFHS.co.uk