BRITON FERRY

 

INDEX

 

 

BRITON FERRY


1841 GLA Census Index

1851 GLA Census Index

1861 GLA Census Index

1881 GLA Census Index

 

Glamorganshire Non-Conformist Register Images & Indexes

 

FreeBMD

FreeCen

FreeReg

Genuki

Wikipedia

 

 

 

 

 Parish Register Images

BMD's 1669-1812

Baptisms 1813-1907

Marriages 1837-1922

 

Indexes

Baptisms Index 1668-1925

Marriages 1721-1837

Burials 1686-1965

 

History of Briton Ferry

 

Old Photos of Briton Ferry

 

 

 

 

Briton Ferry, Glamorgan

Historical Description

Briton-Ferry, a seaport town and a parish in Glamorgan. The town stands at the mouth of the Neath river, the end of the Neath Canal, 2 miles SSE of Neath, 10 E by rail from Swansea, 35 W from Cardiff, and 205 distant from London. It has a station on the South Wales section of the G.W.R., and another, Briton-Ferry Road, on the Vale of Neath section, and has a head post office. The docks comprise a tidal and floating area of 27 acres, and afford shipping accommodation to the mineral districts of Aberdare and Merthyr-Tydfil. The South Wales Mineral Railway has a station at these docks, placing them in communication with the extensive mining districts of Glyncorrwg and Maesteg. The Swansea and Rhondda Bay railway has a station in the town ; this railway crosses the Neath river between Briton-Ferry and Neath. There are large iron and four tin-plate works, an iron foundry, steel; coke, and brick works, and collieries. The steel works manufacture chiefly bars for the making of tin plates. The town is likewise the port of Neath, and has developed rapidly owing to the construction of the docks. It is governed by a local board of nine members. A public library was erected in 1894. There is a working man's club, a reading-room connected with the Briton-Ferry Reconstruction Works, and two cemeteries, one belonging to the church and the other a public cemetery. The parish comprises 1521 acres; population, 5778. In 1801 the population was only 201. The manor belongs to the Earl of Jersey. The local scenery was formerly among the finest in South Wales. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Llandaff and rural deanery of Neath. The churches are-St Clement's, which is the parish church; St Mary's, used entirely for Welsh services; and the mission churches of St John the Baptist and St Thomas. St Mary's-formerly the parish church-was rebuilt in 1892. The tower was preserved, and some of the old bells presented in 1613 were There are also re-cast in 1893. The old church and churchyard were justly celebrated by the late Rev. William Mason, the friend of Gray, in a much admired elegy written in 1787.